Sunday, November 08, 2009

Sussy always live in my memories.




This article is by Gabriela de Olivieri. The original in Spanish is printed below. This translation with its faults is by Google/Philip Cordrey.




Sussy always live in my memories.

This paper is dedicated to her, because she was a fighter, because she was a saviour of so many newborn monkey victims of trafficking in wildlife and a great mother, grandmother and great grandmother.

Sussy lived to be fifteen and a half, broke the record of survival of a monkey in captivity.

She came to me in 1997 through a friend that kept her in a very small parrot cage, which I borrowed. I had a male monkey named Tommy, my friend told me that she would leave her with me for only three months, at that time Sussy was three years old.

Sussy was in a very bad condition, was thin, dull hair with neurotic behaviour, spinning like crazy in the small cage, because of the confinement to which she was subjected, and everyone wondered where I got that ugly monkey .

I brought her into my house and taught her to eat a varied diet, because at that time she only ate rice, bananas and water.

Soon she began to gain weight and I let her out of the cage and she started to learn to climb trees and use her prehensile tail, She had her first contact with monkeys of the same species, and she adapted to her new life in around two months.

My friend came to visit and wondered where was the cage, and I said that it was in storage because Sussy now lived free in the trees, when she saw the her good health and beautiful hair, she immediately told me that Sussy could stay because she looked happy living here in my house.

She teamed up with Tommy and it was a great joy when she had her first baby, on the 2nd of May 1998, he was male and we call him Mickey, she took care of him with love and devotion, and was the first birth of a monkey in my house.

Sussy every day approached me and hugged me and gave me a lot of care many kisses, and I took the opportunity to caress her and her little baby.

Within three months of her having her baby, along came little Teddy, who was also a victim of trafficking in wildlife, he was brought to me by lady who helps me with housework, she gave it to me because she knew that I cared for the monkeys, Sussy immediately began to embrace and make loving sounds until the little one grabbed her hair, and it was very funny because she bore and nursed two monkeys. They grew up healthy, strong and most importantly in freedom.

Then came Peter,and then the female Ronny, who arrived with two fingers and fractured to her jaw caused by stones that she had received when her mother killed in order to snatch her. Sussy cared for them all, because she was super maternal and became the Alpha of the pack, the matron.

Sussy had another delivery on 17 May 1999, at 3 pm, a male born we call Renny, very healthy.

In the end it was countless numbers of monkeys and as she grew up, I lost track because there were so many.

On 31 August 2003, I took her to Philip’s home because she had bitten the lady who works in my house, and she would not return to work with the monkey in the house.

It was a very difficult step for me to leave her, but I had to, she spent several years at the home of Philip, but in April of 2005, Philip called me because she was ill, I took her home and with good treatment she recovered, and returned to Philip’s home because my monkeys did not remember her and tried to attack her, it was very dangerous and it was going to happen.

Later in this same year, July 1st I went to visit Sussy and Philip, and found her very thin and she had loss of muscle mass, I took her back to my house and then to the vet because she did not want to eat, I made the recommended treatment, and she began to improve and gain weight, but with the same problem with my monkeys wanting to attack, so I had to keep her within my house in my room or living room because she did not want to be in the large cage, and I did not want to put her there because she was too old and needed to be pampered.

I took her out several times a day but did not let her go into the big trees. Instead she sat with me, safe from other monkeys. I sat with her in the sun, which she enjoyed very much, she made happy sounds. She was on my lap, laying on her back to sunbath and then hugged me and gave me kisses.

No words can describe the bond of love we had. She was one of my most special monkeys, who never lost the habit of coming to me running and hugging me to make love, and love talking to her, no other monkey has done this to me. Even though years passed I always went to visit Philip's house, at least once a month, and she never forgot me.

She was fortunate to see her children, grandchildren and their grandchildren, something very difficult to achieve with monkeys in captivity, she lived 15 years and a half, something never achieved by any of my monkeys.

Well this story has a sad ending, because in the next two months she began not eat again, I took her to the vet, and found that she had heart problems, breathing and began to retain fluid.

She was treated with new drugs, but she did not respond to treatment and every day was worse, with difficulty breathing, so I took one of the most difficult decisions, by calling Philip on the phone and reported the health of Sussy, and he agreed with me that it was time to let her go.

Sussy was always a fighter, clinging to life, often ill and recovering, even at the last moment when she had to be euthanized, she took a long to go to sleep. I held her in my arms while she was dozing off, and going to a place where there is no pain or suffering, and that someday we'll meet and I will embrace again and speak with affection ....

Never forget ... ...

Gabriela de Olivieri


Sussy siempre vivirás en mis recuerdos.

Este escrito va dedicada a ella, porque fue una luchadora, porque fue una salvadora de tantos monos recién nacidos victimas del tráfico de fauna y una gran madre, abuela y bisabuela.

Sussy vivió hasta los quince años y medio, supero todos los record de supervivencia de un mono en cautiverio.

Ella llego a mí, en el año 1997, por medio de una amiga que la tenia en una jaula muy pequeña de loros, y yo se la pedí prestada para que hiciera pareja con un mono macho que yo tenia llamado Tommy, mi amiga me dijo que me la entregaría solo por tres meses, en esa época Sussy tenia tres años de edad.

Sussy estaba en muy malas condiciones, estaba flaca, el pelo opaco, con comportamientos neuróticos, daba vueltas como loca en el tubo de la jaula, por el encierro al que estaba sometida y todo el mundo me preguntaba de donde había sacado esa mona tan fea.

La traje a mi casa y la enseñe a comer una dieta variada, ya que a ella solo le daban arroz, cambur y agua.

Pronto comenzó a engordar la dejaba salir de la jaula y la llevaba a los arboles para que comenzara aprender a treparlos, a utilizar su cola prensil, a que tuviera contacto con monos de su misma especie, ella se adapto a su nueva vida alrededor de los dos meses.

Mi amiga vino a visitarnos y me pregunto que donde estaba la jaula, y yo le conteste que estaba guardada en el deposito, porque Sussy vivía libre en los arboles, cuando ella vio el buen estado de salud y el hermoso pelaje que ella tenia, inmediatamente me dijo que me la regalaba, porque se veía que vivía feliz aquí en mi casa.

Ella hizo pareja con Tommy y la gran alegría fue cuando tuvo a su primer bebé, el día 2 de Mayo de 1998, fue macho y lo llamamos Mickey, ella lo cuido con mucho amor y devoción, fue el primer nacimiento de un monito en mi casa.

Sussy todos los días se me acercaba y me abrazaba con muchísimo cariño y me daba muchos besos, momentos que yo aprovechaba para acariciarla a ella y a su pequeño bebé.

A los tres meses de ella haber tenido a su monito, llego Teddy de tres meses, quien también fue una victima del trafico de fauna, lo trajo la señora que me ayuda con las labores de la casa, que se lo habían dado porque sabían que yo cuidaba a los monos, inmediatamente Sussy comenzó a abrazarlo y hacerle sonidos de amor hasta que el se agarro de su pelo, y era muy cómico porque ella cargaba y amamantaba a los dos monos, por supuesto se criaron sanos, fuertes y lo más importante el libertad.

Luego llego Peter, como también la hembra Ronny, quien llego con dos dedos de la mano fracturados y con la mandíbula desviada por las pedradas que había recibido cuando asesinaron a su madre para arrebatársela. Sussy cuido de ellos también, porque era súper maternal y ella llego a ser la mona Alfa de la manada, la matrona.

Sussy tuvo otro parto el día 17 de Mayo de 1999, a las 3 de la tarde, nació un macho al que llamamos Renny, muy saludable.

En fin fue innumerable la cantidad de monos que ella salvo y crió, perdí la cuenta de tantos que fueron.

El día 31 de Agosto de 2003, lleve a Sussy a casa de Philip, porque había mordido muy fuerte a la señora que trabaja en mi casa, y ella no regresaría a trabajar con la mona en la casa.

Fue un paso muy difícil para mi separarme de ella, pero tuve que hacerlo, ella paso varios años en casa de Philip, pero en Abril del año 2005, Philip me llamo porque Sussy estaba enferma, la traje a mi casa y con un buen tratamiento ella se recupero, y regreso a casa de Philip, porque mis monos ya no se acordaban de ella y trataban de atacarla, y era muy peligroso que eso fuera a pasar.

Luego en este mismo año el día 1 de Julio fui a visitar a Sussy y a Philip, y la encontré muy flaca y con mucha perdida de masa muscular, me la traje de nuevo a mi casa, y la lleve al veterinario porque no quería comer, le hice el tratamiento respectivo, y ella comenzó a mejorar y a engordar, pero con el mismo problema que mis monos la querían atacar, por eso tuve que mantenerla dentro de mi casa, en mi habitación o en la sala, porque ella no quería estar en la jaula grande, y yo no la obligaba porque ella estaba muy viejita y necesitaba que la mimaran.

Yo la sacaba varias veces al día y la soltaba en un árbol no muy grande y me sentaba a vigilarla no fueran a verla mis otros monos y la fueran a atacar, me sentaba con ella en el sol, el cual ella disfrutaba muchísimo, hacia sus sonidos de felicidad, y se acostaba en mis piernas boca arriba para tomar el sol y luego me abrazaba y me daba besitos.

No hay palabras para describir el vinculo de amor que teníamos ella y yo, fue una de mis monas más especiales, que nunca perdió la costumbre de acercarse a mi corriendo y abrazarme para que yo le hiciera cariño, y le hablara con amor, ningún otro mono ha hecho esto que ella hacia, pasaron los años y yo siempre la iba a visitar a casa de Philip, mínimo una vez al mes, y ella nunca se olvido de mi.

Ella tuvo la suerte de ver a sus hijos, a sus nietos, y a sus bisnietos, algo muy difícil de lograr con monos en cautiverio, ella vivió 15 años y medio, algo nunca logrado por ninguno de mis monos.

Bueno esta historia tiene un final triste, porque a los dos meses ella empezó a dejar de comer de nuevo, la lleve al veterinario, y presentaba problemas de corazón, respiratorios y comenzó a retener líquidos.

Se le trato con nuevos medicamentos, pero ella no respondía al tratamiento y cada día estaba peor, con mucha dificultad para respirar, por lo que tome una de las decisiones más difícil, llame a Philip por teléfono y le informe de la salud de Sussy, y el estuvo de acuerdo conmigo que era su tiempo de partir,

Sussy siempre fue una luchadora, agarrada a la vida, muchas veces se enfermo y se recupero, hasta en el último momento cuando le estaban aplicando la eutanasia, tardo mucho para irse, yo la sostenía en mis brazos mientras ella se fue quedando dormida, y yendo a un lugar donde no existe dolor ni sufrimientos, y en el que algún día nos volveremos a encontrar y la podré abrazar de nuevo y hablarle con mucho cariño….

Nunca te olvidare……

Gabriela de Olivieri

No comments: