Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Little man you've had a busy day.

Barnabe arrived mid morning on Monday the 12th of January 2009. He was brought to us from his home in Caracas at very short notice by his human family Mariela and Romulus. He is a small monkey and we consider that he is about one year old. He is very vocal and he left me in no doubt that he wanted to go home with his family. This is always a challenge with a new comer, how do you make them feel at home with their new friends?
The first night is always the worst. Invariably I let them stay overnight in my quarters. I share their unhappiness and do everything possible to quiet them. Barnabe was in storm. He raced around my room like a tornado. He vocalised his anger and grief for most of the night.
Next morning I sat in what was left of my bedroom. Everything that should be on a table was now on the floor. I salvaged a few things. But now it was time to start work. Howler monkeys are people. They have their likes and dislikes. Our task on this second morning was to find out where he would best be placed. We have fourteen Howler Monkeys and four Capuchins in our care. Where was he going to be happy?
First we had to cross off the impossible, clearly he could not be billeted with the Capuchins and the three ladies MonaLisa and Emma and Nancy were not an option. Sophie is an adult female Howler and I doubt whether she would want a very young male so we decided not to try.
This left us with three houses. Chilin and Erik. Schatov, Lucio, Moñito and Jaco. Or Maniña’s family.
It really comes down to this. We have to visit each of these dwellings with Barnabe several times to gauge all their reactions, his and theirs.
Erik was curious although Chilin was very aggressive. He did not want to share. We tried a number of times through the day but his mind was made up.
We got a surprise when we visited Maniña. He ignored Barnabe. Tutti and Saco tried to push little Barnabe around and they got a surprise. He pushed back. He rapidly earned their respect. This was enough for the first day. We would try again the following morning.
The family of Jaco arrived during the course of the afternoon. As usual they were most helpful and gave a hand with some enclosure cleaning. They also brought food gifts for the children and the kids really enjoyed that.
I was interested to see how Barnaby would react on his second night in my apartment. At first it was much of the same, chaos. But later he settled down under some cushions and a discarded shirt and there was peace. Sometime during the night I felt a small furry ball against the bottom of my spine. Yes you are right, it was Barnabe. This I believe was the turning point in our friendship. I was ok.
Today we decided to build on our achievements of yesterday. We moved back into Maniña enclosure. We arrived before their breakfast so I could see whether there would be and problem at mealtimes. There was no problem. Barnabe shared the breakfast and there was no objection from the others. He spent the day vigorously trying all the facilities. The swings, the walkways, the ropes and the balls in the hammock game. There was some friendly tail pulling and chasing but all within what I would expect. Barnaby failed my final test, although I did not really expect success on this one so soon. He did not enter the house. I checked late in the evening just after all the others had retired and I found him alone in the fork of a tree. He had an unexpectedly successful day I am very pleased with his progress in such a short time. It all augers well. He is an intelligent little person I am sure he will find love and happiness here.
Prologue. He was pleased to see me and made a happy noise when I entered the enclosure, then as if he had been waiting for me, jumped on my shoulder as if to say ‘Home James’.
On returning to my quarters he settled down at once on his cushions and went to sleep. Little man has had a busy day.


LITTLE MAN, you'VE HAD A BUSY DAY
( Mabel Wayne, Al Hoffman and Maurice Sigler)


Evenin' breezes sighin', moon is in the sky
Little man, it's time for bed
Daddy's little hero is tired and wants to cry
Now, come along and rest your weary head

Little man, you're cryin', I know why you're blue
Someone took your kiddy-car away
You better go to sleep now
Little man, you've had a busy day

Johnny won your marbles, tell you what we'll do
Dad'll get you new ones right away
Better go to sleep now
Little man, you've had a busy day

You've been playin' soldier, the battle has been won
The enemy is out of sight
Come along there soldier, put away your gun
The war is over for tonight

Time to stop your schemin', time your day was through
Can't you hear the bugle softly say
Time you should be dreamin'
Little man, you've had a busy day

Little man, you're cryin', I know why you're blue
Someone took your kiddy-car away
You better go to sleep now
Little man, you've had a busy day

Johnny won your marbles, I know, I tell you what we'll do
Dad'll get you new ones right away
Better go to sleep now
Little man, you've had a busy day

You've been playin' soldier, the battle has been won
The enemy is out of sight
Come along there soldier, put away your gun
The war is over for tonight

Time to stop your schemin', time your day was through
Can't you hear the bugle softly say
Time you should be dreamin'
Little man, you've had a busy day

1 comment:

Mariela Diaz said...

Hola mi cucu. Estoy en miami pero estoy pendiente de ti. Ojala hayas progresado y estes mas tranquilo. Anoche no pude dormir bien pensando que no te deje tu cobija electrica.