Friday, March 30, 2012

If only they could speak




Schatov (left) and his companion Sophie

How many times have you thought it? How many times have you said it? If only they could speak. If only I could understand them. Many times I have written in my blog that we know so little about the howler monkey (araguato). I have lived with them for seventeen years and even though I have read every academic paper I could get hold of and even with my personal experience, I say the same thing. We know so little about their thinking.


Two days ago, Sophie the female companion of Schatov, left their enclosure. There is a small hole in the roof. We have repaired it a number of times but clearly that sheet needs to be replaced. Sophie is  intelligent and uses this hole to exit.


She is a great escape artist. Many years ago she left us for a week and when she was finally found, she was very weak and anemic, she had a vigorous parasite infestation. After that bad experience, she has limited her escapes to just a few hours. then she stands at the enclosure door waiting to be let in.


Two days ago, after exiting, she made friends with the wild one, Silvia. The pair of them just sit around the compound together. This evening they sat on my car bonnet. I have made a point of never forcing her to return. I wait for her to want to, or to succumb to banana bribery. That way I have kept her trust. This evening I made great efforts to get her to return, Schatov is very upset by her absence.  She has not responded. She sat on my foot. She pushed herself against my leg like a pussy cat. In fact everything except return to her enclosure. Why? She appears to be very fond of Schatov. They sleep close to each other. They are always within a few feet of each other. Why today does she not want to return? Is this a lovers quarrel? Will all be forgiven tomorrow?


If I understood. If she could tell me, I could help her resolve the problem. As it is I am left as ever wishing that if only she could speak, if only I understood her.



Viernes, 30 de marzo 2012


Si tan sólo pudieran hablar


Schatov (izquierda) y su esposa Sofía.


¿Cuántas veces has pensado? ¿Cuántas veces lo has dicho? Si sólo pudieran hablar. Si yo pudiera entenderlos. Muchas veces he escrito en mi blog que sabemos tan poco sobre el mono aullador (araguato). Yo he vivido con ellos durante diecisiete años y aunque he leído todos los libros académicos que podía conseguir y aun con mi experiencia personal, yo siempre digo lo mismo. Sabemos tan poco acerca de sus pensamientos.
Hace dos días, Sophie la compañera de Schatov, se escapo por un agujero en el techo. Lo hemos reparado un número de veces, pero claramente el alfajol debe ser reemplazado. Sophie es inteligente y lo utiliza para salir.
Ella es una artista del gran escape. Hace muchos años se escapo por una semana y cuando fue encontrada por fin, estaba muy débil y anémica, tenía una fuerte infestación de parásitos. Después de esa mala experiencia, se han limitado sus escapadas a tan sólo unas horas. Entonces ella se encuentra en la puerta del recinto a la espera de que le dejen salir.
Hace dos días, después de salir, se hizo amiga de la mona salvaje Silvia. Esta pareja se sienta en torno al recinto juntas. Esta tarde se sentaron en el capó del coche. He hecho un punto de no forzar su regreso, esperar a que ella regrese cuando lo desee, o sucumbir al soborno bananero. De esa manera yo he ganado su confianza. Esta tarde he hecho un gran esfuerzo para conseguir que ella vuelva, Schatov está muy molesto por su ausencia. Ella no ha respondido. Se sentó en mi pie. Ella se apretó contra mi pierna como un gatito. De hecho todo, menos regresar a su recinto. ¿Por qué? Ella parece ser muy aficionado a Schatov. Duermen cerca uno del otro. Siempre están a unos pocos metros el uno del otro. ¿Por qué hoy no quiere volver? ¿Es esto una riña de amantes? Todo será perdonado mañana?
Si he entendido bien. Si ella me dijera, yo podría ayudarle a resolver el problema. Como es que he quedado como siempre deseando que ella pudiera hablar, para yo poder comprender sus deseos..


No comments: